Monday, February 23, 2009

I Digress

I had a very long conversation the other day about this book, or the idea of it. What I hoped to get out of it, how I thought I would accomplish my goals, why I picked the title I did. It took a while but I think I've started to figure out why writing it has become so important. It is both an explination of who I am and why I've become that person.
I think each part of my life set me up to be able to make it through the next part. If I'd had nothing but pleasant experiences, then finding myself alone in Florida would have been much more traumatic. However, by the time I made it here, it was more or less a non-event.
Down the road, I hope this story is about the trip. That decade in my teen years that was truely the trip to the beginning of my life.
This discussion we had lasted most of the evening and eventually he asked, as he has before, if he is going to be mentioned in it. I explained that he is the ending, my knight, who closed that chapter of my life for good.

Then he asked if the next book would be about everything since.