Wednesday, February 11, 2009

October

When I flip through a calander and look at dates, I am amazed to find I only really spent about two and a half weeks in Virginia. It felt like several months.

Right away the mother went to work frantically signing the kids up for karate, and the little one dance. She went out and bought everyone season passes to Busch Gardens and seemed to always have tons of expendable money. This was the first odd thing.

I remember how it was living at home and how sometimes things were a little tight, and that was on an officer's pay so I figured than enlisted had to be less. Just a guess.

She began to go on and on about taking the kids to Disney for Christmas and how great it was going to be. She would by stuff in preperation, toys and goodies. Then I met the couple she was providing a child for, they too were from Florida. The beginning of that third week, things started to unravel. She became irrational and paraniod, talking about people trying to arrest her. Ducking as a cop would go by on the road.

She and I took a couple day trip to Orlando, first class, to scope out a possible place to stay near the couple so they could be a part of the experience. We went to Universal, where she bought more annual passes, and looked at rental houses.

When we got back to Virginia her paranoia escalated, prompting a late night load up and decision to drive all of the kids to Orlando. Her husband stayed behind, having to work. And it was after that point I began to learn the truth.