Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mother Dear

My Mother has, as any good mother does, played a very large role in my life. She made sure we had every opportunity there was available, even if it meant taking on more work for herself. When I was young, she took me to dance classes as well as performances and made sure I had all of the tu-tus and other things I needed.


Later on, it was driving the both of us to Scouts, helping us with popcorn and cookie sales, and hauling us to camps every summer. We never heard about what cost or burden it would be for the family for us to do these things.


She worked at Woolworth, which was one of the primary shopping places in town, and made sure she was there for us at every event. She was room mother for both of us, making treats for all of the holidays, as well as our seamstress. Both Bubby and I were (and still are) fairly hard to shop for, so she spent time making sure our clothes fit properly. This was long before the days of half sizes; short, medium, or long lengths; and widespread manufacturing of size zero pants.


By the time I was in middle school, she had started taking clesses at the community college. An event that would turn out to be more pivotal than it should have been. She took her classes while we were in school so we never really noticed any change in our routine.