Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On Her Birthday

It's my mother's birthday today. I know because she texted me earlier reminding me. I'm not a horrible daughter, I did send a card as I do every year, mailed it with my brother's two weeks ago.

I saw a picture of her recently, in the new church directory and realized that it's the first time there has been a formal picture taken of her with no kids in very nearly 25 years. The two boys were off at work or doing whatever it is they do and S and I were in our own picture on another page. At first I totally missed the picture. I had to go back through and search for it. It seemed a bit odd like that, just the two of them.

And then it began to sink in that maybe she noticed too and just maybe this is some of the problem recently. In a couple months time I will turn 25 and 4 months after that I'll be married. It's a bit scary to think about.