Thursday, September 10, 2009

Not Sleeping

I keep hearing that sound. The sound of fist meeting face and I keep seeing him fall to the ground, blood gushing like a gyser almost instantly.

I haven't slept well the past few nights, it keeps replaying in my mind.

Silently.

I know there was plenty of shouting, I may have even been shouting too, but I don't remember. I remember the crash. It seemed such a foreign sound and we all froze. Then movement.

It was both slow motion and fast forward at once. I don't remember running to the door, just being outside. Then everything seemed to hesitate, like the earth was deciding whether to move again.

And then that sound.

I remember looking over my shoulder as I ran down the path, seeing her face in...anguish. Like she was screaming and crying and disbelieving all at once. That face keeps coming back to me in sleep. That look of... something without a word.

I've never been prone to nightmares, scary movies or a scary life have never brought them on, but this has.